A high-speed network is crucial for organizations as modern industries grow more digital. Up until recently, a 10 Gigabit network may have been familiar to many small and midsize businesses due to its greater energy efficiency and lower power expenses. This post will introduce some basic information about 10Gb switch and several types of 10G Ethernet switches to meet your different demands.
What Is an Ethernet Switch?
A multi-port network bridge, or Ethernet switch, is a type of switch that uses Ethernet to transmit data and contains numerous pairs of ports to link multiple servers at once. Each port is directly connected to the host and generally works in full-duplex mode. Typically, Ethernet switches utilize RJ45 ports with a quick transmission rate, making them easy to apply to adapter cable and transmission medium.
Ethernet switches typically connect wired network devices such as computers, routers, Wi-Fi access points, servers, and so on to a local area network (LAN). When there are many of active devices on the network, they can deliver more stable performance.
Moreover, many 10G network switches have high-speed uplink ports where fiber optic cabling can be connected using modules. And these fiber optic cables are used to plug into the ports on the switch and then into the Ethernet device on the other end, supporting speeds of 1 Gigabit/10 Gigabit per second or more.
Why 10G Ethernet Switches Are Popular?
Due to advanced technology and increasingly growing bandwidth requirements, the 10 Gigabit Ethernet is widely deployed in more areas, especially in enterprises.
Besides, because of the cost-effective 10GbE switching solutions, many small and medium-sized organizations also choose 10G network switches to meet their needs of high-speed networking.
To be honest, the rapid growth in 10G Ethernet switches can be attributed to lots of advantages, including:
- Lower price – the number of ports provided by 10G Ethernet switches can flexibly and effectively extend the bandwidth performance.
- Higher speed – 10G Ethernet switches can reduce or eliminate the collision on the network which significantly speeds up the network.
- Higher security – Because 10G Ethernet switches exclusively send the point-to-point transmission packets to the port associated with the destination address of the packet, the user of the other address can not receive the data.
- Broader deployments – the availability of new optics now enables 10 Gigabit Ethernet to be deployed anywhere from the data center to the wiring closet, using existing fiber cabling.
- Extended interconnectivity and operating distance – with the deployment of 10G Ethernet switches, the operating distance of these switches may be up to 20 km.
- Higher performance and scalability. With virtualization, up to eight 10 Gigabit switches can be combined into a single virtual switch for a throughput of 80Gbps.
- Easy cable management. Cables are necessities during network deployment. The more cables used, the more complicated the deployment will be. In 10G Ethernet deployment, there are far fewer cables required, which reduces the cost and energy of cable management.
Top 10G Ethernet Switches Product Overview
FS S3900-24F4S is a powerful and low-cost 10G Ethernet switch with 20 100/1000Base SFP ports, 4 10GE SFP+ ports, 4 (RJ45/SFP) combo ports, and 1 (RJ45) console port.
Designed for reliability, flexibility and performance, this switch provides IPv4 static routing for more effective use of network resources and advanced Quality Of Service (QOS) design for improved network performance.
In addition, loop protection, link protection, and device protection are supported for improved reliability. The FS S3900-24F4S is the perfect 10G network switch for smaller enterprises since it always provides top performance in a variety of settings and workloads.
Cisco Catalyst 4948 10 Gigabit Ethernet Switch
The Cisco Catalyst 4948 10G Ethernet switch offers 48 ports of wire-speed 10/100/1000BASE-T with 2 ports of wire-speed 10 Gigabit Ethernet (X2 optics) for exceptional traffic throughput via wire-speed 20G Ethernet uplinks. For offline catastrophe recovery, a single dedicated 10/100 console port and a single dedicated 10/100 management port are also developed.
Besides, it offers exceptional performance, bandwidth, and reliability for low-density, multi-layer aggregation of high-performance servers and workstations, as well as a comprehensive set of management tools to provide the visibility and control required for server switching.
Netgear ProSafe XS708E 8-Port 10G Ethernet Switch (XS708E-100NES)
The XS708E consists of 8 10G copper ports and 1 combo 10G Fiber SFP+ port that delivers up to 10Gbps of dedicated, non-blocking bandwidth per port.
On top of the plug-and-play 10G Ethernet connectivity, it is a simple, yet useful network setup which will help optimize the performance of business networks such as VLAN, QoS, IGMP Snooping, Link Aggregation (LAG), rate limiting, and traffic monitoring.
The Netgear ProSafe XS708E 10G Ethernet Switch is the ideal switch for SMBs considering simple and affordable 10GE connectivity into their 10GE-capable servers and storage devices.
A 10G Ethernet switch can provide your groups with significant advantages in network performance and availability. I believe that these products may be the most cost-effective solutions for you to find a suitable 10G Ethernet switch.